News Archive - 2011-2014
NOTE: some hyperlinks may have expired
• ADDISON INDEPENDENT: "THE PRICE OF A LITTLE IDLING COMFORT"
• SIERRA CLUB VT CHAPTER DONATES FUNDS TO IDLE-FREE VT FOR CO2 GAS SENSOR FOR SCHOOL IDLE-FREE CAMPAIGNS
• UVM IDLING STUDY SHOWS IMPACT OF IDLING IN VERMONT
The University of Vermont Transportation Research Center conducted and released a report on a comprehensive passenger vehicle idling study that determines Vermonters idle passenger vehicles voluntarily (while parked) for 9.6 million hours annually which results in 36,500 metric tons of CO2 emissions and equates to 4,000,000 gallons of fuel used. The study does not even include trucks and buses.
• HIGH MEADOWS FUND AWARDS IDLE-FREE VT $17,500 GRANT FOR VERMONT IDLE-FREE SCHOOLS PROJECT
• AMERICAN LUNG ASSOC./UVM FLEET IDLING REDUCTION CERTIFICATION PROGRAM LAUNCHES
Idle-Free VT director Wayne Michaud is interviewed by WVNY Fox44 / ABC22 New reporter David Hodges at the Bristol Bakery & Café, Hinesburg, VT about Vermont's new prohibited idling of motor vehicles law, in effect May 5th. Portions of the interview are aired in a one minute, 40 second report on the law on WVNY 6:30 and 10 o'clock news.
• THE STATE OF VERMONT PROHIBITED IDLING OF MOTOR VEHICLES LAW BECOMES EFFECTIVE
• CASTLETON UNIVERSITY, CASTLETON, VT, ADOPTS NO IDLING POLICY
• RUTLAND SOUTH SUPERVISORY UNION ADOPTS IDLING RESTRICTION POLICY AT ELEMENTARY SCHOOLS
• WAYNE MICHAUD PRESENTS IDLE-FREE FROM THE START AT VDTSEA DRIVER EDUCATORS CONFERENCE IN RANDOLPH, VT
• REP. MOLLIE BURKE (SPONSOR OF VERMONT IDLING BILL THAT BECAME LAW) WRITES OPINION IN BRATTLEBORO REFORMER
MARCH & APRIL:
• IDLE-FREE VT SCHOOL NO IDLING POLICIES PROJECT CONDUCTS 26 EDUCATIONAL SESSIONS
• INFORMATION ON VERMONT'S NEW IDLING LAW POSTED ON POLICE DEPT. FACEBOOK PAGES
• WAYNE MICHAUD BECOMES A "FRIENDS OF VDTSEA" MEMBER
• WAYNE MICHAUD EMAILS BURLINGTON MAYOR MIRO WEINBERGER
• FEBRUARY 13: IDLE THREAT FILM SCREENING AT CHAMPLAIN COLLEGE
Idle Threat is a full length film that chronicles a one man campaign to reduce air pollution in his neighborhood and combat global climate change by accosting nearly 3,000 NYC idling motorists that would violate NYC's laxly enforced no idling law. A screening of the film is held at Champlain College, Burlington, VT. A Q&A session follows with the protagonist and filmmaker, George Pakenham, and representatives of the City of Burlington and American Lung Assoc. to discuss current, local idle-free efforts.
• ADDISON INDEPENDENT: BRISTOL WOULD BENEFIT FROM NON-IDLING POLICE CRUISERS"
• JANUARY 29: SEVEN DAYS ARTICLE: "WHATEVER HAPPENED TO BURLINGTON'S BAN ON EXCESSIVE CAR IDLING?"
• SIERRA CLUB, VT CHAPTER FUNDS PRINTING OF WINDOW DECALS
• IDLE-FREE GUY INTERVIEWS IDLE-FREE VT FOR TOOL BOX SERIES
• EMA VIDEO: VEHICLE IDLING CAN, UM, COST YOU A HOT DATE!
• NOVEMBER 26: IN TROY, NY, COPS SAY NO TO WARMING UP YOUR CAR WHILE UNATTENDED ON STREET
• NOVEMBER 6: IDLE-FREE VT GIVES WORKSHOPS AT 4-H YOUTH ENVIRONMENTAL SUMMIT
• IDLE-FREE VT FOR SCHOOL NO IDLING POLICIES PROJECT FUNDED BY CDC IN PARTNERSHIP WITH VT DEPT. OF HEALTH
• PRESENTATION FOR VERMONT ASTHMA ADVISORY PANEL
• UVM TAPS FAIRPOINT FOR ANTI-IDLING ONLINE TRAINING PROGRAM
JULY & AUGUST:
• IDLE-FREE VT IDLE-FREE FOR FLEET$ PROJECT FUNDED BY CDC IN PARTNERSHIP WITH VT DEPT. OF HEALTH
• IDLE-FREE VT AMONG FIVE ANTI-IDLING HEROES RECOGNIZED BY SUSTAINABLE AMERICA
• UPDATE OF VERMONT DRIVER'S MANUAL INCLUDES LANGUAGE ON GREEN DRIVING AND IDLING REDUCTION
• S.150 ENACTED-INTO-LAW VERSION NOW TITLED ACT 57
• IDLE-FREE VT ISSUES PRESS RELEASE ON NEW LAW
• GOV. SHUMLIN SIGNS PROHIBITED IDLING OF MOTOR VEHICLES BILL INTO LAW
Vermont Governor Peter Shumlin signs S.150 - An act relating to miscellaneous amendments to laws related to motor vehicles - which includes the section: Prohibited Idling of Motor Vehicles, into law. This will limit the idling of all motor vehicles in the state to five minutes in any 60 minute period, with exceptions. The law takes effect May 1, 2014. Details on the Idling Laws page. S.150 also contains Sec. 29: Driver Training Course, mandating that driver educators teach about the negative impacts of unnecessary idling and about the new idling law. Sec. 29 takes effect July 1, 2013.
• THE VALLEY REPORTER - LETTER TO EDITOR: "DID YOU KNOW THIS?"
• FAIRPOINT RECEIVES AWARD FOR NO IDLING INITIATIVE
FairPoint Communications northern New England operations receives an Honorable Mention award for their Anti-Idling initiative at the annual Vermont Governor’s Awards for Environmental Excellence at a ceremony on May 14th at UVM's Davis Center. The American Lung Association and Idle-Free VT partnered with FairPoint in the adoption of their practice which resulted in a 30-percent annual reduction in fleet idling times and a 40-percent reduction in fuel used for idling - a huge benefit for their 1,200+ vehicle fleet. Accepting the award for FairlPoint is Mike Smith, Vermont president of FairPoint along with Deb Markowitz, Secretary, ANR and event emcee; Rebecca Ryan, American Lung Assoc. in Vermont; and Wayne Michaud, Idle-Free VT. Vermont Business Magazine online award coverage.
• VERMONT LEGISLATURE PASSES BILL TO PROHIBIT IDLING OF MOTOR VEHICLES
• IDLE-FREE VT INC. ACHIEVES 501(C)(3) TAX EXEMPT STATUS
• VERMONT TRANSPORTATION STAKEHOLDERS NETWORK (TSN) MEETING IN BRATTLEBORO
• DEC PRESENTS DRAFT RULE TO LIMIT VEHICLE IDLING BEFORE LEGISLATIVE COMMITTEE
• MEETING OF GREEN/ECO-DRIVING ADVOCATES AT UVM
• VERMONT LEGISLATURE: HOUSE IDLING LIMITATION BILL INTRODUCED
• VERMONT LEGISLATURE: SENATE IDLING LIMITATION BILL INTRODUCED
• VERMONT DEC DEVELOPS DRAFT FRAMEWORK FOR RULE TO LIMIT IDLING
• WAYNE MICHAUD PRESENTS IDLE-FREE FROM THE START AT PEOPLES ACADEMY DRIVERS EDUCATION CLASSES
• IDLE-FREE VT PRESENTS "SCHOOL NO IDLING POLICIES" WORKSHOP AT 4-H YES! SUMMIT
• WAYNE MICHAUD SPEAKS AT VDTSEA FALL CONFERENCE, RUTLAND, VT
• IDLE-FREE VT PRESENTS IDLE-FREE FOR FLEET$ TO TWO RIVERS-OTTAUQUECHEE RPC
• VERMONT TRANSPORTATION STAKEHOLDERS NETWORK (TSN) MEETING, MONTPELIER, VT
• BURLINGTON FREE PRESS:"ONE VERMONT MAN MAKES A DIFFERENCE IN ANTI-IDLING CAMPAIGN"
• BURLINGTON FREE PRESS - MY TURN: "HIGH COST OF IDLING"
• AMERICAN LUNG ASSOC. & IDLE-FREE VT NEWS RELEASE: "FAIRPOINT SAVES BIG WITH ANTI-IDLING PUSH"
• IDLE-FREE VT INC. APPLIES FOR 501(C)(3) TAX EXEMPT STATUS
• NEW YORK TIMES: W.H.O. DECLARES DIESEL FUMES CAUSE LUNG CANCER
• IDLE REDUCTION ADVOCATES & EDUCATORS MEET TO DISCUSS IDLE-FREE FROM THE START PROJECT
• IDLE-FREE VT PRESS RELEASE ON IDLE-FREE FROM THE START PROJECT
• WAYNE MICHAUD SPEAKS AT VDTSEA SPRING CONFERENCE, RANDOLPH, VT
• ADDISON INDEPENDENT: "BRISTOL WI-FI COULD LEAD TO IDLING"
• ADDISON INDEPENDENT: "FERRISBURGH KIDS"
• WAYNE MICHAUD MEETS WITH PAUL MARKOWITZ OF VEIC TO DISCUSS ECO-DRIVING/IDLE-FREE PROJECT
• VERMONT CHAPTER OF THE SIERRA CLUB FUNDS PRINTING OF IDLE-FREE VT BUMPER STICKERS
• BURLINGTON POLICE DEPT. UPDATE ON IDLING ENFORCEMENT
Burlington Police Dept. Deputy Chief, Walter Decker provides an update on the enforcement of Burlington's idling restriction ordinance, stating, "We do in fact issue parking warnings and when appropriate, tickets for idling situations as they are encountered by our Parking Enforcement staff. We have in fact issued just under 60 actual tickets since the ordinance was passed..." [meaning the ordinance update on Dec. 31, 2009] "...as it has always been our understanding and goal to emphasize education prior to enforcement. Thus we have also participated in distributing flyers and working with the downtown business community at spreading the word about the ordinance." Decker also relates that specifically the excessive idling of cabs has been "addressed with several of the major cab companies and they have encouraged direct reports to the management if they happen. The owners have for several years been very concerned with fuel prices and don't want to see unnecessary waste thus several (such as Morf or Benways) have encouraged folks to call as the number is right on the cab! They want responsible drivers as well."
• SCHOOL BUS EXCESSIVE IDLING ISSUE RESOLVED, SPRINGFIELD, VT
In January, a male elderly resident of Springfield, VT calls Idle-Free VT, complaining that a neighbor operating a Windsor Central Supervisory Union (WCSU) school bus allows it to idle for at least 50 minutes every school day before departing, starting at 5:00 am. This causes diesel fumes to penetrate the man's home, as well as disturb his sleep. It is also wasting taxpayer dollars (this amount of excessive idling for one bus, at $4.00/gal. for diesel, based on a 180 day school year would cost Vermont taxpayers up to $3,500 a year). Wayne Michaud, Idle-Free VT director, contacts the WCSU, which passes the information on to their contractor, Butler Bus Services Inc. In February, the complainant informs Wayne that the bus is now only idling for about 10 minutes each morning, still more than necessary but a great improvement.
• VERMONT IDLE-FREE FLEETS MEETS WITH THE CRAFTSBURY ENERGY COMMITTEE
• VERMONT COALITION TO REDUCE VEHICLE IDLING MEETING
• MORE IDLING AWARENESS PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENTS FOR WDEV
• IDLE-FREE VT & VERMONT IDLE-FREE FLEETS PARTICIPATE AT VECAN CONFERENCE
• IDLE-FREE VT EXPLORES EFFORT TO EDUCATE STUDENTS AND NEW DRIVERS: IDLE-FREE FROM THE START
• IDLE-FREE VT SUBMITS COMMENTS ON IDLING REDUCTION FOR NEW STATE ENERGY PLAN
JULY TO OCTOBER
• UVM TRANSPORTATION RESEARCH CENTER: REDUCING VEHICLE IDLING IN VERMONT PILOT PROJECT
• WAYNE MICHAUD SPEAKS AT VERMONT TRUCK & BUS ASSOC. ANNUAL CONVENTION
• VERMONT IDLE-FREE FLEETS MEETS WITH WOODSTOCK ENERGY GROUP
• BRATTLEBORO MEMORIAL HOSPITAL AWARDED GRANT TO REDUCE IDLING
• AMERICAN LUNG ASSOCIATION IN VERMONT STATE OF THE AIR PRESS CONFERENCE AT STATEHOUSE - MUNICIPAL AND BUSINESS FLEETS AWARDED FOR ADOPTING IDLING REDUCTION POLICIES
12 fleet operators -- 10 municipal (town Depts. of Public Works and Highway Depts.) and two business -- receive plaques from the American Lung Association (ALA) in Vermont recognizing them for adopting idling reduction policies as part of the ALA's Vermont Idle-Free Fleets program. Speaking at the ALA's State of the Air Statehouse press conference are Kent Booraem, ALA in Vermont leadership board member, Rebecca Ryan, ALA in Vermont Director of Health Promotions and Public Policy, Dick Valentinetti, Agency of Natural Resources, Director of Air Pollution Control Div., Wayne Michaud, Vermont Idle-Free Fleets coordinator, and Addison County Rep. David Sharpe. The event is covered on Fox44 News and ABC22 News, in addition to mention by WCAX News of Vermont’s grades from the State of the Air Report. It is also covered by VTDigger.com. In the photo accepting plaques are a mix of Representatives, Senators, and Town Administrators, plus Wayne Michaud.
• IDLING AWARENESS PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT FOR WDEV
• DEPARTMENT OF BUILDINGS & GENERAL SERVICE ADOPTS VEHICLE IDLING POLICY
• 2,500 NEW IDLE-FREE VT FLYERS DELIVERED TO DMV - THANKS TO VT CHAPTER OF THE SIERRA CLUB
• THE HERALD OF RANDOLPH: "AN IDLE CAR IS OF THE DEVIL: 'JUST SAY NO' TO ENGINE IDLING"
• SENATOR CLAIRE AYER INTRODUCES A HEAVY-DUTY VEHICLE IDLING BILL
• GREEN MOUNTAIN OUTLOOK & FEBRUARY 12: THE EAGLE: "TOWNS TARGET DIESEL-TRUCK IDLING"
• LAND LINE MAGAZINE: "VERMONT BILL WOULD IMPOSE IDLING RESTRICTIONS"
• TIMES ARGUS: "WHY WE NEED AN IDLING LAW"
• REPRESENTATIVE DAVID SHARPE INTRODUCES A HEAVY-DUTY VEHICLE IDLING BILL
• MEETING WITH DMV ENFORCEMENT AT NATIONAL LIFE GROUP, MONTPELIER
• WCAX-TV CHANNEL 3 NEWS, BURLINGTON: VERMONT'S UNEVEN IDLING LAWS
• ADDISON INDEPENDENT: "AVOID UNNECESSARY IDLING ON COLD DAYS TOO"
• VERMONT PUBLIC RADIO COMMENTARY SERIES: KATHERINE BLUME: IDLE FREE
• FOX 44 NEWS, BURLINGTON: BEST WAY TO WARM UP YOUR CAR IN WINTER